Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Yes, grammar is still valued in the workplace

And here is a persuasive article on exactly why it should be: "I Won't Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar," by iFixit CEO Kyle Wiens. (I include the full title because the URL got abbreviated in an unfortunate place.)

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/07/i_wont_hire_people_who_use_poo.html

Wiens views grammar as a predictor of work habits: it can reveal you to be conscientious, bright, able to master basic concepts and apply knowledge; or ...not. A prospective employee who cannot master the their/there/they're distinction, says Wiens, is likely to make equally basic errors in stocking shelves, programming computers, or assembling parts. In a market saturated with job seekers, applications with errors usually go straight in the shredder.

Would you like me to proofread your resume now?

1 comment:

  1. Hannah,
    I'm glad to see you are up and running. I am sure your business is going to be a huge success! I will pass your website on to all of Jimmmy's friends.
    Linda Kile

    ReplyDelete